SOS Africa Charity News >
Top Fundraiser in 2013 to be Awarded Two Tickets to South Africa to Meet the SOS Africa Children!
20 Feb 2013
To mark the charity’s 10th anniversary and in recognition of the efforts of all of our loyal supporters, this year SOS Africa has decided to open up the competition to win two tickets to South Africa to all SOS Africa fundraisers in 2013. So whether you are participating in one of our organised event/s or have created your own fundraising challenge/s, all SOS Africa fundraisers will be eligible to compete for this grand prize.
Two years ago, the SOS Africa Charity decided to introduce an extra special prize to reward its top fundraiser at its annual fundraising event, the Cardiff Half Marathon. This prize would grant the lucky winner the unique opportunity to fly out with a friend to South Africa to meet the SOS Africa Children. This seemed like an appropriate reward as it would enable the competition winner to meet the deserving children they had worked so hard to support and see the lasting difference they had made, first-hand. This hotly contested prize changed the dynamic of the fundraising process as many team members battled it out in pursuit of this once in a lifetime opportunity.
In 2011 the prize was awarded to Kelly Braddock-Roberts and Tania Gulliford for raising an incredible £1100 for the SOS Africa Children! We were delighted to be able award these two very deserving winners with this opportunity, not only because of their fundraising achievements but also because Kelly had broken her ankle in the lead up to the event and still completed the race in a wheelchair! Upon their return from South Africa Kelly described her experiences: “I will never forget my South African adventure and I am very grateful to SOS Africa for giving me this opportunity. In a short space of time we had gained a new family and made some amazing friends. The children truly are an inspiration to me and I think about them every day.”
Last year we were thrilled to be able to award the prize to another very special fundraiser, William Pritchard. William, a sufferer of mild Cerebral Palsy, has now completed 3 half marathons for SOS Africa and raised over £1000 for our cause. SOS Africa co-founder Matt Crowcombe said: “Will has inspired many people by never letting his condition stand in the way of achieving his goals.” Will begins his adventure in August of this year!
The rules are quite simple:
- The competition will run from now until the stroke of midnight on New Year’s Eve 2013; by which time the individual who has raised the greatest sum of money for the SOS Africa Children will be declared the winner.
- All participants must notify the charity before commencing fundraising.
- If you are fundraising in a team or group, the fundraising total will be divided by the number of individuals in your team. For example if you are a team of six Zip Wire Fundraisers and you raise £1800 – your total on the fundraising leader board will £300 (£1800 / 6). If your team wins then the prize will be awarded to a member of the group chosen by you.
- Fundraisers are not allowed to sponsor themselves and most submit all sponsorship with completed SOS Africa Sponsorship Forms or online through JustGiving or VirginMoneyGiving.
- Funds can be raised at one event or a number of different events throughout 2013.
- Gift Aid is not count as sponsorship.
- Participants must be 18 or over, unless they are accompanied by an adult.
Feel free to contact us for more information.
Good luck to everyone participating in the competition and thank you to you all for raising invaluable funds to secure the education and care of the SOS Africa Children. It will be our pleasure to introduce SOS Africa’s top fundraiser in 2013 to the children they have worked so hard to empower through education!
For more information about fundraising for the SOS Africa Charity, click here.
Recent News Items:
In the Face of Adversity, Humanity Prevails: Emergency Food Relief Continues throughout South Africas 3rd Wave of COVID-19
The impact of SOS Africa's Emergency Food Relief Appeal as it continues to support South Africa's poorest communities throughout the 3rd Wave of COVID-19...
Courtesy of corporate sponsorship and a record-breaking Minecraft livestream fundraising event, SOS Africa has recently purchased land and buildings ready for development in Gordon’s...
Abseil from the iconic Wells Cathedral in celebration of our keyworker heroes this autumn and raise vital funding for the SOS Africa, Wells Cathedral and RUH Bath...