Information for Inmates
This page will be regularly updated with information and advice for inmates participating in SOS Africa's "Nominate an Inmate" event at Shepton Mallet Prison.
Inmate Kit List
Inmates must bring the following items with them to registration at Tesco, Shepton Mallet on the morning of the event:
- WEAR ON THE DAY: One set of warm and comfortable clothes which will fit under prison overalls (to be issued on arrival) and comfortable trainers suitable for light exercise.
- IN A BLACK BIN LINER: You may also bring an extra fleece, a pair of socks, a hat, a pair of gloves and blanket to keep you warm in case of cold weather and a small teddy bear. We also recommend you bring an empty water bottle and 1 reading book. You must bring an inflatable mattress, pillow, sleeping bag and a small torch. (We will have mattress pumps at the prison).
- IN A CLEAR RESEALABLE BAG: Bring a toothbrush, toothpaste, essential make-up, contact lens solution, glasses, moisturiser, deodorant and any necessary medication.
*Please note that you will only be allowed to bring the above items to the event. All other items including electrical equipment, phones, tablets, kindles, computers, watches, food, alcohol etc. are banned from the event and will be confiscated at the initial inspection.
Inmates are allowed to bring cigarettes, but matches will be provided by SOS Africa volunteers. We are also happy to look after valuables on behalf of inmates if they are in bags clearly marked with the inmate's name.
Useful Downloadable Documents
Here are some useful documents which inmates may wish to download to assist them with fundraising in the lead up to the event...
- Event Information Page - Main event information page.
- Team Fundraising Page - Displays the event fundraising total and individual fundraising page contributions.
- Event Facebook Group - Regularly updated with the latest event information.
Win Two Flight Tickets to South Africa!
This summer, SOS Africa will award a special prize of TWO RETURN FLIGHT TICKETS TO SOUTH AFRICA to meet the SOS Africa Children to one the charity’s top fundraisers. Inmates will receive prize draw entries for passing the following fundraising totals:
£350 = 1 x Entry
£600 = 2 x Entries
£800 = 3 x Entries
£1000 = 4 x Entries
A special prize draw will then be held later in the summer to select the lucky winner. The following inmates have already been entered into the draw:
Inmate Abigail Collins (x4 Entries)
Ellie Miners (x2 Entries)
Inmate Robert O'Malley-White (x2 Entry)
Inmate Jamie Malley (x2 Entry)
Inmate Ann Lowe (x1 Entry)
Tracey Lambert (x1 Entry)
Lorna Murphy Durran (x1 Entry)
Darren Shepherd (x1 Entry)
Billy Miller (x1 Entry)
Vicky Ball (x1 Entry)
Janet Saxon (x1 Entry)
Stephen Roads (x1 Entry)
Inmate Arrival/Registration Times
Inmates will meet at Tesco Shepton Mallet Car Park (BA4 5SB) on the left hand-side opposite Screwfix on the Saturday morning of each event weekend for registration. Each inmate has now been allocated a group number and registration time (see below timetables). When you arrive we will check through your kit, collect your sponsorship and give you your prison overalls to slide over your warm clothing. You will also meet your designated prison officer who will be in charge of your team for the duration of the weekend. They will then march you down Shepton Mallet High Street, to wave farewell to your families, and into the prison when your 24 hour stay at HMP Shepton Mallet will officially begin. Please ensure that you arrive early as we have a tight schedule which we need to follow and please ensure that families and friends congregate on the High Street rather than overcrowding Tesco car park. On their release date, inmates will be marched back Tesco Shepton Mallet Car Park and returned to their loves ones. Group 1 Inmates will arrive for collection at 10.30am and Group 2 Inmates at 11.30am. Please ensure families meet inmates at Tesco car park, not outside of the prison.
Your allocated teams / arrival times are as follows...
WEEKEND 1: 20th/21st May 2017
WEEKEND 2: 27th/28th May 2017
If you require an overnight parking space at Tesco Shepton Mallet, please contact us and we will arrange this for you.
Please note that Shepton Mallet Prison has 24hr security and no unauthorised persons will be allowed to enter the prison at any point during the event.
If you have any questions or require additional information email: email@example.com